What is social anxiety
- Social anxiety is a persistent fear of social situations where you need to interact with others or perform a task in public.
- Some people become fearful of interactions with others, such as having a conversation or making small talk with people.
- Some people also become fearful of social situation where you need to perform a task such as giving a presentation, or a talk to others at work.
Why social anxiety is distressing
- When people have social anxiety, interacting with other people, or perform a task in public can create enormous fears.
- If you have social anxiety you will avoid social situations, or endure them with a sense of dread.
- In social situations you will be fearful that other people are judging you harshly.
- Underlying social anxieties are often beliefs that other people are viewing you as either overly anxious, weak, or that people see you as either crazy or stupid.
- The fear of being harshly judged can restrict your social activities.